Friday, August 28, 2009

Chaining the warp!

Today a new friend - Greet, came over and helped me make more progress on the warping progress. I needed to chain both warps and add the weights to the front before I could chain the heddles. I had started to chain the back row last night and it was slow going, today with Greet's help things went much faster. Warping a warp weighted loom goes much faster and easier with two people :)
This picture is an up close of the chaining.
The chain is the same kind that you would use to start crocheting
with one thread inside each chain...

This is the back threads chained...

A view of all the back threads chained and the front threads with their weights...

A little bit closer view...

Greet between the front and back threads.
She is feeding the threads down to me so that I can then chain them.

This is one of the things that really helped make it go much faster!! :)
The front and the back threads are now all chained...



A side view...

Us laughing and joking now that we are done with this part...
The loom is now chained and weighted...
All that is left is to chain the heddles to the heddle rod and it will be ready to weave!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's looking like proto-fabric! I was thinking, that perhaps one wouldn't have to stand inside the loom, if there wasn't a wall there...but for the front warp, yes, one would. Ah well. Not like it's difficult.

Grainne said...

I also think that next time when I do the tabletwoven header band it may not be necessary to stand inside because it will be easier to see the threads. But, yes, I think if it was free-standing it would work the same way to wor with one in the back and one in the front - but, I think that way we did it worked fine too.