Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Almost there...

I'm down to the last few inches - I refuse to untie the weights just to let loose a couple of inches. I am sure that I would feel different about this if I had spun the threads, but since I didn't, I'm ready for this piece to come off the loom. I am currently at 2 yards + 34 inches...and holding. I need to do a slight loom modification so that I can weave a little farther down comfortably - so I'm waiting for the hubby to come home with the power tools :)
I want to drill one more set of holes to be able to move the heddle bar down just a little bit further. Once this is done, I think I will be able to weave a little past the 3 yard mark so that I can compensate for the first couple inches of the piece that are a little rough.
Once I have gone as far as I can - it's time to take it off the loom. For some reason this makes me nervous - makes no sense, but I always feel this way towards the end of a project.
I am going to wet finish the piece in the bathtub...maybe with a little soaps...maybe not...I'll see how it feels, and then let it air dry.

4 comments:

Grainne said...

ps. I actually have a calous from the swordbeater...it's on my right hand just below where my pinkie meets my hand...weird :)

Unknown said...

I think it does make sense - you were taking lots of risks for a while there, and then you figured it out, and settled into that groove. Now it's time to take risks again...ergo nerves. I do that, too.

My favorite solution is time. I bounce off to another project, and then I 'miss' the first one, and I've sort of forgotten the hard work, so I'm ready to take risks again.

Grainne said...

It's funny but I did do exactly that. Toward the end of projects I will suddenly loose focus and do other things...recently: I knitted two scarves, painted two wall hangings, started a pair of naalbinded socks, and this morning I re-covered the kithen chairs. Some of this was distraction and some is the fact that I am at a stand still waiting for the hubby to find the right whole saw so I can move the heddle bar down a bit...We're going out-of-town this weekend, but I hope to have it off the loom and wet finished the beginning of next week...

Unknown said...

Kudos on your warp weighted looms!
I am just starting down that path, and have decided to make one from PVC pipe whilst I make trips into the woods to identify the just the right fallen trees who will eventually become mine own WWLoom. Thank you for this blog - I have learned much from it.