Monday, March 31, 2014

My new warp weighted loom is portable :)

My big loom was just too big to take places and weave for demonstration purposes. Lucky for me, Lorcann was nice enough to build me one that breaks down to fit inside my Hyundai Santa Fe. It's max width is about 36", but that is more than enough for the average little project. Recently the Barony of Wyvernwood has been demonstrating at the Bay Area Renaissance Faire so we determined that taking it out there would be a good test run.


This is the loom warped with weaving in progress.


















This is an up close shot of the weaving.  This is a basket weave - technically a half basket as the pattern is 2 warp threads to one weft thread.  Basket weave means that the threads are in a 2:2 ratio versus a 1:1 ration for a tabby weave.  Anything besides those two weaves requires another heddle bar.  There is a little bit of drawing in at the top, which I probably could have fixed, but it's not that big a deal.  The baby still requires a great of attention and reweaving wasn't "in the cards".  Besides, I can just cut that part off as this will become a leg wrap for Lorcann eventually.  He does benefit from making me things ;)



















This is a shot of the chained warp.  As you can see it's not a huge warp because I wanted to be able to accomplish at least the warping in the time that I was out at the Faire.





















This is an up close of the heddles.  They moved around some, but they did their job.











This is a picture of me in the process of warping the cards to weave the the warp into the header band.













These are some shots of my loom without any warp as it had just been completed.

No comments: