Monday, April 7, 2014

Amazing videos from the Norsk Folke Museum

While trying searching different combinations of words related to warp weighted weaving, I stumbled upon a treasure trove of documentary videos published by the Norsk Folkemuseum 

The videos are silent documentaries that have screen card explanations of what's happening (the same as the old black and white movies from the 1920's here).  They were all shot in the late 1940s to mid 1950's. I am so excited - I wish I could read Norwegian (I'll have to translate some of it when I get a chance). It's very interesting to see all the different variations as it seems each weaver or weavers has their own method in warping their loom.

Group of  house wives in 1950's Norway warping a loom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a19lGJGOZWY

Woman using a warp weighted loom to weave a strap.




These are my favorite - They show in detail from start to finish the warping and weaving of a rug/bed cover.  The first video doesn't have as much weaving, but it shows the rugs/bed covers in their many uses.






1 comment:

Grainne said...

I had one of those moments where I realized that I may be very excited about looking at these you tube videos, the average person is not :/
I really need more warp weighted loom people to talk with...