Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I added more weight...

So after trying 5 passes...I learned some things...and then cut out the weft :)
First - I knew that the fabric was going to be warp faced....It's tabby on a warp weighted loom - I don't know how to warp it to be anything but warp faced right now. I need to ask some people a lot of questions...
Second - Since it is warp faced it is going to be much narrower than it looks as a warp...
third - I needed more weight because the sheds were not working well and they were taking forever to separate out...

Some things that I am now mulling over:
When I warped the loom, I decided to just do a simple tabby. In my mind the tabby would be warp faced (that was how the mechanics worked in my mind anyway). This of course makes a smaller piece of fabric. The questions I have are:
1. How do I weave even tabby? Is it possible on a warp weighted loom?
I have also seem pics online of weft faced tabby weaving on a warp weighted loom and I can't seem to wrap my head around how that happens...
2. Heddles seem to move around a lot - need to try somethings to fix this...
3. Right now I am using a ball for the weft, but I am wondering if there were any preferred shuttles...

No comments: