Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm starting to get it...

So now I have almost five inches woven. The first couple inches were a learning curve. I was up and down the step ladder a lot because I hadn't learned what it looked like when I missed a pick (the threads had stuck together and had not be woven in correctly). Once I learned what it looked like to miss a pick - and what it was suppose to look like when I hadn't - things moved along much better. Although I will say "un-weaving" to back and get the missed picks wasn't hard, it just took time :)
I re-did the front warp chain with a single thread vs. the first time where I used double and this seems to have helped with not missing picks since the threads are more evenly spaced...or this could all be in my head...
The "struming" of the loom is very important. I used the sword beater, or my hand, and strum the warp threads like playing a stringed instrument. This makes all the threads that have stuck to their neighbor let go and greatly reduces the amount of picks missed.
Having a toddler running around and asking questions makes it even more challenging. I can't help but wonder what they did for this...
I'll post pictures of progress in the next couple days...

No comments: